Whenever possible, full refunds are the easiest way to keep your bookkeeping clean because you can process them from any payment in the Project 2 Payment business portal. That said, we understand that sometimes there are special circumstances where only a portion of the original payment is being credited back to the account holder. In this scenario, a refund is possible but it will need to be initiated in the merchant portal.
- Log into the merchant portal.
- Go to Payments in the left sidebar and click on Payment History.
- Use Search to locate the original payment. You can enter a cardholder name in the box and hit Enter. You can also click columns such as Amount or Created to sort smallest to largest or newest to oldest.
- Once you have found the payment, click the amount to view details.
- Click the Refund button.
- A pop-up window will appear. The Refund Amount will default to the full amount of the transaction. Change the amount to however much you wish to give back to the account holder.
- Click Refund.
Your partial refund has been processed!
Since you are not able to email a receipt for the refund from the Project 2 Payment business portal, you will also need to find another way to send your customer a receipt. If you do not have your own receipt template, you can print a receipt from the merchant portal.
- If you go back to the Payment History screen, you should see your refund listed at the top.
- Click the amount to view details.
- Click the Receipt button.
- A receipt will open in a new tab.
- Click the Print Receipt button.
- You can either print a physical copy or Save as PDF to attach to an email.
The original payment under Payment History should now have an arrow next to the green circle with a checkmark in it under the Status column. The arrow indicates that a refund (either full or partial) has been processed.
Partial refunds will not appear in the Project 2 Payment business portal. You will need to manually account for the transaction on your project.